14 Jan Journaling Exercise – coming back to your joy
We’ve arrived in the third week of the new year, and this is usually when it starts to get hard. New year’s resolutions fade away and life goes back to normal. That’s why we’d like to invite you to check in with yourself again and do a short journaling exercise to come back home to yourself and reignite that fresh energy of the new year to bring back joy and ease. Come along!
- Start by finding a quiet spot for yourself. Put your phone away, lock the door, grab your journal and pen, and get comfy.
- Close your eyes for a moment to connect with your body and your breath. Feel into the support underneath you and take a few deep breaths. Let the air travel all the way down into your belly, and then release with an open mouth. Come back, and open your eyes.
- Open your journal and start with describing what joy feels like for you. What does it mean to feel joyful? When in your life did you feel joyful? What were the things that brought you joy when you were a child? After finishing, read what you’ve written down before you continue to the next step.
- Now start writing about how you can bring that feeling of joy into your current life. Into your work life, into your family life, into your personal life – everywhere. Small things, big things, everything counts.
- What are the activities you can easily implement into your life? Is there something you can start today? Write it down in your journal.
- Again, read what you’ve written down and then close your eyes. Let that feeling of joy enter your body, let it come in through your pores. Then tell yourself: I’ll do what I need to do to bring joy into my life.
- Please take three deep breaths, in through your nose and out through your mouth, and then come back and open your eyes.
Keep coming back to the activities you described and start implementing right away. Does going for a hike bring you joy? Go outside this weekend. Is coloring the thing you love most? Get yourself a nice coloring book and start tonight. Do you love dancing? Put on your favorite song right now and dance away!
++ Do you want to dive a little deeper? Share this practice with your partner or a friend, and share what you’d like to do together to bring more joy into your shared life.